Thursday, March 3, 2011

They're here!!

That's right, my babies are here! In fact, they're 2 weeks old already! And they're perfect. And amazing, and I love being a mom of twins. Its so amazing to watch them both sleeping, right next to each other, so contentedly. I just stare at them and try to wrap my mind around the fact that these TWO most perfect babies are BOTH mine! Wow! They're so different from each other, and from their big brother, but that makes it even more fun. I am going to love watching each of my children's personalities evolve as they grow up.

So I'm sure you want to know the "whole story". I had a routine ultrasound and OB appointment last Thursday, 2/17. Babies looked great, and as usual, the OB said everything looked great and they were really happy and really thought I'd make it to 36 weeks at least (the point at which I could deliver at the local hospital). But they'd been telling me this for weeks now and I never believed them. I was pretty sure they'd show up around 35 weeks. But since Baby Girl had flipped back to breech, it was going to be a c-section either way. So they went ahead and scheduled a c-section for March 8th, 1 day shy of 38 weeks. I didn't really think I'd make it to then...but scheduling it made me finally think..."well, maybe..." Kelly had gone to the appointment with me, because we wanted to make sure he got to see an ultrasound one last time before the babies arrived. And I had a feeling this might be the last ultrasound. After the appointment, we headed home and I just relaxed in the afternoon. A farm loan officer came by in the afternoon (we're thinking about switching lenders) and I sat at the dining room table with them talking farming. I remember as I was sitting there distinctly feeling both little heads up high right next to each other and thinking about how cool that was and just sort of memorizing that moment. My in-laws came over later for dinner and when they'd been here a while I noticed I was feeling a lot of tightness, which I just chalked up to the fact that I'd been up more than usual and stress from the in-laws (hey, I can't help it!). I sat down to dinner and felt a small leak/gush. I worried it might be my water but worked on convincing myself it was just urine (sorry for the TMI!) When I felt another little gush later on when I shifted in my seat, I knew. I finished dinner, walked to the bathroom and called for Kelly to tell him what happened. Then I sat down in the bathroom and cried. I was so mad...why couldn't my body keep a baby in past 35 weeks? And why did I FINALLY let my guard down? Seemed strange that the day I finally let myself be slightly convinced that I'd get past 35 weeks, is the day I go into labor. Since the in-laws were there, Kelly went out and told them what happened. And my mother in law proceeded to slightly freak out and kept trying to "calm" me and tell me "it will be okay". Which just made me more mad, because I KNOW it'll be okay, I've done this before, I'm just annoyed at my body! And I was worried they'd be in the NICU...but I was mostly just upset at myself and upset because I didn't want to leave my Bug, I felt like I hadn't had much time to play with him that day...so of course when I had to leave him, I gave him a hug and kiss and then I burst into tears which upset him :( And when we got our shoes on, he ran and got his shoes so he could go with us. Awwww, just break your momma's heart why don't you, buddy?! ;) Luckily he was going to stay with his grandparents anyway, so it worked out well that they were there already.

So we drove to the hospital, knowing perfectly well they would send us to the bigger hospital 2 hrs away. We went up to L&D, where we were met with the very same doctor who checked me out and sent me to the bigger hospital when my water broke with the Bug. And she remembered us too! When I walked up to the counter, the conversation went like this:


Me: Hi, my water broke.

Nurse: That seems to be the thing to do today, you're number 3.

Me: Oh, wow. Oh, and I'm 35 weeks.

Nurse: Oh, okay.

Me: And its twins.

Nurse: Oh! Well, okay!

Me: And they're both breech.

Nurse: Stop that! No more!

Me: That's okay, that's all I've got :)

Hahaha! I can't remember if I told them then or later that I was actually having contractions as well. Regardless, I got all checked out, they had a terrible time finding heartbeats but they did find them. Contractions were about 5 minutes apart so they decided they needed to get me to the other hospital ASAP. Last time they sent me by ambulance. Kind of weird, mostly because I hated being wheeled through the hallways on a stretcher...but not bad. Well...this time, they come back and say "We've made the decision that you need to go up on a helicopter to make sure you get there in time." Um. A helicopter? As in, lifeflight? Um. Cue the scary bells and alarms going off in my head!!!!!! (by the way, pretty sure this was rather unnecessary, considering we got up there and then sat in a room for a good hour or two before doing the c-section anyway...oh and did I mention we got the bill for this yesterday? I think that hurts more than the c-section did...) Anyway, I sent Kelly on his way as soon as possible to make sure he got up there in time. He got there about 10 minutes after I did (another reason I'm sure the ridiculously expensive helicopter ride was not necessary.) We had to wait a while to actually do the c-section, since I'd eaten just a few hours earlier. But eventually, they got me ready and wheeled me into an OR. The c-section itself...weirdest feeling EVER. You feel all this tugging and pressure and you know they've cut you open and are messing around with your insides...and that? Is just WEIRD. So you try not to think about it and instead you stare at the ceiling and say little prayers over and over again that it all turns out okay. And it did! They brought Baby Boy out first, at 1:14 am on Feb 18th, and I cried when I heard him cry...then one minute later they brought out Baby Girl, and more mommy tears when I heard my little girl. I only got a quick look at them and they were taken over to be checked out and the doctors got busy closing me up. Wheeled into recovery and finally got to hold my beautiful babies. Baby Girl was having a little trouble with oxygen levels so we did some skin-to-skin in an effort to regulate. Helped a little, but they decided to send her over to NICU after a while to get her all set. I couldn't beleive how tiny she was when I held her though. They hadn't weighed them yet but I knew she was much smaller than the Bug was at birth. These little skinny legs, so fragile seeming! When I had to give her up to the NICU and got to then hold my Baby Boy, I could really tell how small she was. He was more of the size I was expecting. I got some good cuddle time in with each of them and take in every little aspect of them. By the way, she weighed in at 4 lbs 11 oz and he weighed 5 lbs, 15 oz. What a difference!

Baby Girl ended up spending about 36 hrs in the NICU for her blood sugar levels. Not bad at all, and we were all able to come home together. We are SO unbelievably lucky and blessed.

There's so much I can and will share, but for now, this is plenty long enough and has taken me like a week to write. You know, two newborns and a toddler take up more time than you might think. Ok, actually Bug is still going to the sitter for now, to give me a chance to get into a routine and get some sleep with the little ones, and to keep his world at least somewhat normal for him.

So, here's the little ones!

Baby Girl


Baby Boy (yes, he's on the girl boppy...this is why most of our stuff is neutral!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I missed this post! Congrats, girl!!! They are gorgeous! I'm sorry things didn't go the way you had hoped... but it all still worked out just fine! Praise the Lord! :)

Jess said...

What a good story! Oh my at the lifeflight! But better safe than sorry I guess? It really sounds like it couldn't have turned out better, though. Congrats again!!

LeAnna said...

Awwww, happy days in your house! I was just thinking about you the other day, wondering how you were doing. I hate I missed this post (I've been out of town for a funeral) - but I'm SO excited that your babies are doing so great. God is so good, even when things don't work out like we'd hoped, He still reigns. Awesome! Can't wait to hear more about the babies, and find out their names. They are too precious!!