My baby boy is 23 months old. Almost 2! How did that happen? I just sit back and watch him in awe sometimes. He's such a big boy, and so smart. He's had this sudden word explosion too, he's had a few words for a while. Favorites include "up", "dog", "fork", "ice", "moo", "baa", "mom", "mine". And a few others here and there. None of which he would say on demand. But suddenly he's repeating everything and saying words when you ask him. Its so fun! And nice that his vocabulary is expanding since its a bit easier to figure out what he wants when there's a word or two thrown in instead of just "uh, uh" and pointing. :) He knows what most farm animals say, knows most of his body parts and will point to not only his own but yours as well. He knows where "his babies" are, and when you ask him how many babies he has he holds up his hand (we're working on holding up two fingers but he doesn't quite get that yet...so he just holds up his whole hand, haha!)
By the way, is it strange that I almost never refer to the babies as "the twins", or as twins at all. Other than when people ask me what I'm having, I'll sometimes say twins...though even then I usually just say "there's two". I have no idea why. I'm also totally thrown off when my mom talks about "the twins" and is referring to MY babies instead of my twin nephews. I guess its because my nephews have been "the twins", and the only twins for 8 1/2 years, so its strange to me to think of anyone else that way? So I always just call my twins, "the babies". And usually they're the Bug's babies. Who knows why my crazy mind works the way it does.
It just amazes me all the time how fast my little boy is growing up. And I'm just savoring the one-on-one time we have together right now. Reading books together every night while he has a bedtime snack, reading books together in the morning after we make the bed (he insists that we make the bed every morning), having lunch together, watching the cars go by through the front picture window, building duplo towers together. The little things that I know we won't get to do as much of in a very short time. I'm looking forward to meeting my two new little ones, but I worry so much about my first baby. I worry about being away from him while I'm in the hospital...another reason I really hope these babies stay in long enough to have them close to home and not at the 2 hr away hospital with the NICU....I worry about him feeling neglected when I have to focus so much on his brother and sister and he no longer has my undivided attention. I know he'll be fine and good, even, in the long run...its just the beginning and transition that I worry about I guess.
It'll all be good in the long run, that I know...but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous anyway! At the same time, I realize just how fast time goes...I mean, hello, where did the last 2 years go?! So I will have to remind myself, when we're going through the tough phases....this too shall pass and probably faster than I realize. At the same time, I need to remind myself to savor every precious moment and take those mental pictures to remember...because it all goes way too fast.
By the way, is it strange that I almost never refer to the babies as "the twins", or as twins at all. Other than when people ask me what I'm having, I'll sometimes say twins...though even then I usually just say "there's two". I have no idea why. I'm also totally thrown off when my mom talks about "the twins" and is referring to MY babies instead of my twin nephews. I guess its because my nephews have been "the twins", and the only twins for 8 1/2 years, so its strange to me to think of anyone else that way? So I always just call my twins, "the babies". And usually they're the Bug's babies. Who knows why my crazy mind works the way it does.
It just amazes me all the time how fast my little boy is growing up. And I'm just savoring the one-on-one time we have together right now. Reading books together every night while he has a bedtime snack, reading books together in the morning after we make the bed (he insists that we make the bed every morning), having lunch together, watching the cars go by through the front picture window, building duplo towers together. The little things that I know we won't get to do as much of in a very short time. I'm looking forward to meeting my two new little ones, but I worry so much about my first baby. I worry about being away from him while I'm in the hospital...another reason I really hope these babies stay in long enough to have them close to home and not at the 2 hr away hospital with the NICU....I worry about him feeling neglected when I have to focus so much on his brother and sister and he no longer has my undivided attention. I know he'll be fine and good, even, in the long run...its just the beginning and transition that I worry about I guess.
It'll all be good in the long run, that I know...but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous anyway! At the same time, I realize just how fast time goes...I mean, hello, where did the last 2 years go?! So I will have to remind myself, when we're going through the tough phases....this too shall pass and probably faster than I realize. At the same time, I need to remind myself to savor every precious moment and take those mental pictures to remember...because it all goes way too fast.
My big boy! (sidenote, my kitchen isn't quite this yellow...I'm still learning how to use my new camera...apparently I need to adjust settings when taking pictures in the yellow kitchen at night. But look at that smile!)
2 comments:
I was just thinking how this time two years ago, I was on the countdown. Q will be two the 1st. And now here we are, waiting on Sissy. Time does fly, it's kind of depressing in a way. You want to cherish every moment, but it just comes and goes so quickly.
Bug will be such a good big brother! I don't know if Q really understands, but he loves to hug on my belly and say 'bebe, bebe' I've been trying to teach him Sissy.
I know!!! Ava is rounding on FOUR! Hard to believe. But good, too....if they don't grow and change, something is really wrong!! :)
It's not bad fir the new babies to not be "the twins" all the time. They are individuals after all!! It'll maybe be easier to keep them that way, too, since they're b/g.
It'll all be fine in the end, you're right. There will be tough tines and times where you just want to sit and cry, but it'll all be worth it....for everyone!
Post a Comment