Thursday, October 21, 2010

I guess that makes THAT decision

Lately it seems I don't make my own big decisions anymore. Which is probably an okay thing, considering I'm one of the most indecisive people I know. A couple of months ago, I was thinking about if we should have 2 kids or 3. God intervened and said, "Not for you to decide, you're having 3." Okay, then. Since then, we've been trying to decide whether or not I should stay home after the babies arrive. We were leaning towards yes, but it was still a little uncertain and indecisive me, was really just afraid to make a final decision. Well, today God intervened and said "Yes, you're staying home." At least for a while. My company is actually a division of a larger company located in another state. They announced today that our division would be moving to company headquarters, which is halfway across the country. Needless to say, everyone here is going to be out of a job. The only "sticky" part for me is that I carry our insurance. And as everyone knows, insurance during a pregnancy? Very important! And also something you can't really just change halfway through. So my most important thing is keeping my insurance until after these babies are born and preferably after any potential NICU time if that is a necessary thing. My official "end date" is still undecided, but thankfully I'll get 3 months severance and my insurance for those 3 months following the end date will be covered. If the babies come prior to the "end date" or if my doctor says I need to stop working, I'll go on short term disability/FMLA just as I would have otherwise, until the end date and then my severance package will kick in. So, we should be okay. It might even end up being a pretty decent deal for us. So I'm feeling pretty good about everything. There's a few unknowns yet, but that's life, right? What I feel badly about is all my co-workers. Lucky for me, I'm in a situation where I can deal with losing my income, its something we were probably going to do anyway. But most everyone else is not. They depend on their jobs, their incomes, and finding a new job is not going to be easy for most of them. The vast majority don't have college degrees, and the job market is slim in our area. Its going to be really tough on them. I've already heard talk of people going without insurance, and going without things like necessary medications. I feel bad for them, and there's nothing I can do or say to help. I just hope things work out for them all.

2 comments:

LeAnna said...

That is so tough for the other families! I'm glad things are looking like they will work out for you to keep your insurance in the right amount of time. When God gives us an answer, we have to trust He'll provide regardless of what things look like. The best part? He does! And in the process we learn to lean on Him more and more. Just like the widow woman in the Bible who didn't have any oil or flour left to make food for her family, God kept filling up that cruet of oil over and over. He'll do the same for us.

Anonymous said...

I feel for those families! Such a hard spot to be in.
I am glad for you, however!