Thursday, July 15, 2010

Update and trucks

Thanks for all the prayers and thoughts. My sister in law's father in law passed on Saturday night, calling hours were yesterday-which we went to, and the funeral was today. They all seem to be dealing fairly well, I think its a bit of a relief for it to be over, you know? The anticipation of losing him and the waiting and watching him in pain I think was getting to be awfully hard on everyone. Now its just to the business of going on without someone who was such an important part of their life. As it always is when you lose someone.

We felt like we really needed to be there for hubby's sister and brother in law, so we made the 2 1/2 hour drive to go to the calling hours. And since we didn't have anybody to watch the Bug, he came along with us. But he did really great with the drive and at the funeral home (well, as good as can be expected for a 16 month old who had just been in the car for hours).

While we were in the area, we stopped and looked at a couple potential grain trucks that hubby had found online and luckily were only about 20 minutes from where we needed to be. I think it was worth the stop, because he may buy one of them but it would have been a pretty big hassle to make a separate trip to look at them. And turns out my Bug LOVED the big trucks! He got all excited when Daddy popped the hood and he could see the engine. Someone with a little girl, please do me a favor...take your girl to see a semi, pop the hood and let her see the engine. Tell me if you get a big reaction. I'm really curious...is it just a built in boy thing? Or a general 1 year old thing? Or just a "Bug thing"? :) I mean...its an engine. I don't get it...but apparently he sure did! We let him sit in the driver's seat and he had a grand time pretending to drive. So much so, that he cried when I took him out and as soon as I put him down, he walked himself right back over to the truck and wanted to climb up the steps and get back in the cab. But it was snacktime and it was crazy hot out there and Daddy had lots of looking and talking with the sales guy to do yet...so Bug and I turned on the car with the a/c full blast and hopped in the backseat to hang out and have a snack :) Which he also loved, because, well how cool is it to be able to climb around in the backseat and play instead of being strapped into the carseat?? Pretty darn cool, apparently! Especially when you can munch on the goldfish that you previously dumped out in your carseat...the boy is big into self serve eating, you know. Then we were off to the in-laws' hotel room to change clothes, let him run around a bit and then we headed to the funeral home. Talked to the family, went to dinner and headed home. Bug slept the whole way home, thankfully, and even went back to bed after jammies and a snack when we got home. I was one impressed Momma. I think we might be finally getting a decent car-rider. Though I should probably bite my tongue until AFTER we make our 9 hour drive to and from the beach in a couple of weeks, huh??

4 comments:

Jess said...

Sorry for your family's loss.

Generally speaking, Ava "likes" to see trucks/tractors/etc but only enough to say what it is. ETHAN gets extremely excited and screams about it forever and ever and then talks about it later.

It seems that a lot of things....gender-wise...are truly inborn. IMHO (which is pretty good being as I have two same-age different-gender children and therefore LOTS of both gender stuff at our hosue.)

Jess said...

PS, also....the home videos of my husband and his (gay) brother are telling, too. Just for the record. Think capes and rainbow bright vs. "Look at me dribble this ball!"

LeAnna said...

I'm glad everyone seems to be doing good. Loss is so hard.

Q does the same thing with tractors, it's unbelievable. He loves trucks, and he loves semi's, but nothing gets him excited like a tractor. We took him to the John Deere dealership (shhhh, I know!) yesterday and let him sit in some of the big ones and he was in heaven. He absolutely had a breakdown when it was time to go, and kept yelling "ta-tah! ta-tah!" as we drove away. He'll even go so far as to carry around magazines during the day, as long as they have tractors in them. Cracks me up!

Anonymous said...

My little man isn't in to trucks so much, now horses, that's another story. We have melt downs when it's time to get off.